Does GoG Give Steam Keys?

Salams,

Braid and Torchlight II are on sale at GoG. If I buy them, do I get Steam keys?

http://isthereanydeal.com seems to imply as such (they sent me the email notification about Braid), but I can’t find any verbiage in the GoG website about this.

Halp?

gog is it’s own service, and you will get drm free downloads from their site, or you can download their client and get drm free downloads like that.

Whether the key will also work on steam depends on the game dev.

I like Steam because I have all my games in once place. With DRM-free, I have to worry about where to keep the installer, etc. so that I don’t lose it. That’s more troubling.

1 Like

They do have a client, just like steam, gog galaxy, they also have a download manager, you tell it where to put all installers and it will put them there and manage. the way my wife does it is she put the download manager, not their client, as a program on steam, launches that, it updates and she can go to her games from there.

You can also tie each game to steam via the add other application button.

I don’t understand.

Can you please answer as a yes/no: Steam’s client allows me to download a single client, and from there, it can download any Steam games I own. Does Gog offer an application with the same functionality (single client, from there, can download any Gog games you own)?

yes, it is called gog galaxy. Which is exactly like steam.

It also has a separate client called gog downloader, which only keeps your installer up to date. People use that one if they don’t like the tracking of gog galaxy.

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend you buy torchlight 2!

1 Like

I have found that diablo esque games are not my cuppa tea. too much clicking, and I hate mice. at least in cs go you only click sometimes. but to click for every swing is weird.
I wouldnt mind it if the regular skills auto attacked

@ashes987 GOG galaxy (https://www.gog.com/galaxy) is actually quite nice, just waiting for the linux client.
They also have a downloader and manager (https://www.gog.com/downloader)

As far as actually giving out steam keys… they dont. This is because they would essentially have to give you 2 games, 1 DRM free, and 1 through steam, which costs them twice as much. Only a few developers will give you a free steam key as well, and usually only at certain times (eg upon first steam release). I got such a key from the Game Dev Tycoon guy, but I didnt buy it originally from GOG< I got it from the devs website.

2 Likes

Wulf why not Torchlight 2? It’s a great game

I guess I’ll wait it out. Braid is on sale for $6 (historical low is $2), and I don’t want yet another downloader game manager thing.

1 Like

but drm free > than drm

I rode the anti-DRM train long ago. I once read an article that explained the flip-side very clearly: companies want to use DRM to make guarantees about their software. If they can, they will do (in some ways) more than that they would risk without DRM.

I see the value of it, and more importantly, Steam is convenient. Very, very, very convenient. I buy a game, and it’s basically there on their servers forever. In two clicks, I can download and play it.

YMMV

1 Like

Completely agree with Ashes987

1 Like

On the flip side of this argument;

EA recently banned the entire country of Myanmar from Origin citing a trade embargo with the US.

Politics aside, it highlights the fact that you do not own the games you purchase from these services, and the service can and will be shut-down for any number of reasons outside of your control.

With the exception of games I pick up from humble-bundles, these days I find myself using gog exclusively. They have a convienient system for tracking and downloading games and you can freely download and store your games offline for safety and portability.

Last I saw they had a sale running including a few 75% and 80% discounts similar to steam sales and their prices in general seem comparible.

1 Like

i personally prefer drm free because I download and host the games on my personal lan
i connect to the internet as little as possible. If i plan to use something more than once, I put it on my ftp server.

Ah @Severok, that is the sad and (not surprisingly, compelling) dark side of the force. Once you get burned, you’ll never consider Steam again.

You got me. I’ll buy in. I just need a safe/secure/reliable way to store my non-DRM installers somewhere, where they can survive hardware failure, companies going out of business, etc.

Suggestions?

1 Like

mine is simple, one ftp server, and a backup. You do not need much more than that. I found an ftp server is the best because fo how flexible it is. Have network attached storage you use as backup, or you can just back it up on your computer. If your talking about accessing outside of the house, setup a vpn.

I got it on sale for 5$ and I didn’t end up liking it. It was repetitive and I didn’t feel like I was progressing in any meaningful way…

Just keep going down this cavern, fight boss monsters, do quests that just make you clear more caverns…

And the attacking mechanism wasn’t cool either like asad mentioned.

Talking points:

DRM Free vs Steam:

Depends on the game for me. Steam Family share makes it really easy to play games from other accounts on different computers. I have several sibling and they all game now. I once had multiple steam accounts (still do) and used to buy for different accounts separately but now I focus on one and Steam Family Share them.

When it comes to Indie games and stuff that may have MP in the future, I get DRM free so I have the option to put the game on multiple computers if I want. Say, for example, my siblings and I want to LAN something, we can. Most recently I bought StarDew Valley for precisely that reason. I also rely on my DRM Free games when Steam or Origin or Internet in general is down. Like reading a book when the power is out or on a long trip.

GoG Galaxy:

I dont mind this client at all. It is for convenience only as it downloads your games and also updates them if there is a new update. That is usually the only time I run it.

Torchlight 2:

I tried really hard to like the game. Bought it and played through a good amount of it before giving up and realizing it wasnt really fun to me.