Farming & Backyard

I miss read that thinking that the cactus was being named ‘Brutus the succulent’

1 Like

Those are the tomato plants from the first post.
“We surely belong to Allah and to Him we shall return.”

Going to be holding a janazah in my heart. They were good tomatoes.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajioon. May Allah forgive your tomatoes (and you) and make them a means of you to excel in good deeds… ameen.

P.S. try cherry tomato plants next year for the win

Ashes, I may be having a dandelion problem. There are so many in my backyard… it’s not even funny. I have to mow the lawn every two days for them to stay dead. Pulling their roots out is pretty tough too. I came back to this thread to read what you suggested lol

edit: So you ended up pulling the dandelions out huh… I’ve been at war for a week now - it seems like I’m making things worse LOL

i pick the dandelion greens and use them in a salad.

@Wulf please tag me next time with @… so I get a pingback about this.

Unfrotunately, with dandelions, the only long-term way to get rid of them, for good, legally (read: without illegal chemical pesticides) is to:

• Uproot them. Take the root out as deeply as possible.
  • Drop some grass seeds into the gap you just created
  • Cover with a bit of fresh soil

Even if you miss a small piece of root, the dandelion will grow back; but it’ll be weaker next time.

Dandelion seeds take to bare patches, so you also need to mow weekly (instead of every other week), with the goal of keeping your grass longer (say 6"). Having this tall grass will keep the seeds from getting sunlight and sprouting.

Some people claim that certain soil pH levels also are very dandelion-friendly. I never got my soil tested or figured this out.

HTH

P.S. I’ve been fighting dandelions for about four years now, with kids also pulling out, literally, 100+ dandelion heads in one shot. Again, that’s just trying to band-aid the bleeding; the real solution is to take out the roots.

Four years?! Reminds me of metal gear solid’s intro… roughly:

"War has changed.

It’s no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It’s about dandelions.

War has changed.

ID-tagged home owners carry ID-tagged pesticide sprays, use ID-tagged gardens."

1 Like

Thanks for teaching me this. I think my backyard is now 100% Dandelion free. I remember a while ago I went on Dandelion massacre sprees… And now I don’t even see them! Which reminds me; I’m going to take pictures of this year’s plants - salad and cucumbers! They’re almost ripe! I know you said to try cherry tomatoes but I totally forgot to tell my mom lol. (I just reread that post haha)

The salad is pretty much dead lol, every morning a rabbit comes and eats them haha.

P.s. I didnt @ mention you since it’s not that important :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

https://forums.muslimgamer.com/uploads/default/original/1X/0054bf99251557de786bdd4e40d053e7753b65ff.jpg

https://forums.muslimgamer.com/uploads/default/original/1X/3dc768be83c4523eda100c8b089dcf4e30176980.png

Mashallah, that is awesome, how much are you growing btw?

darn I accidentally edited the post instead of creating an new one

I think I planted 4-6 of both

I remember hearing darker colours = healthier.

Those are some nice looking cucumbers. We used to grow the smaller spiky cucumbers, they were super tasty. I’m not a garden guy, how did u grow them Wulf?

@Abdz, I came back to this thread to check out my plants lol, but I realized I totally forgot to answer your question. We moved out T_T, all my plants are gg. Good thing I took pictures.

My mom usually buys seeds for me, or sometimes brings in lots of small plastic pots of plants lol

The rest is fairly easy, yet time consuming;

1. Read the seed’s label and plant it accordingly (–> hole depth)
  2. Water them occasionally (don’t overdo it - that’s like drowning them. It also lowers soil quality to some degree? --> nutrients dissolve into the water -> water goes deeper --> nutrient concentration decreases)
  3. Move them to a bigger pot/backyard when you think they need more room (you’ll learn how to move them properly after a few mess-ups)
  4. Rip out any weeds/other things that may be starting to invade their territory!
  5. Judge when you think it’s ready to harvest :smiley:

Alhamdulillah, it’s not that hard lol. The first step for me was planting the seeds and after that, things sorta just work out. Plants are pretty resilient!

All g. Moving out’s a pain. Bro ATM I’m trying to just grow some chillis and I can’t even do that. I found these nice chillis at the store, wanted to grow my own, took the seeds out and tried to make them sprout before putting them in. I did it once, but forgot to water them and they died. This time, they didn’t sprout out. Also I forgot about them and they started to rot. Who knew seeds could rot?

O.O They can rot!?

Hmmm, adding chillies to my no-chill list. :wink:

1 Like