Homemade Delicious FOOD!

Salaam Abdz, good to see you again.

Have to disagree about steak though. Redder = Better.

Blood is completely drained from the meat when butchered and the meat is thick enough to prevent bacteria from entering.

Provided that the outside layer is cooked the thing is good to go.

Of course you need to be more careful with ground meat and sausage as that stuff is all mixed so you need to ensure it is cooked all through.

@ashes987 cooking is an art, baking is a science. That is why my wife makes the curries and I make the cookies.

When cooking you can try and balance things as you go. If you have good instincts for balancing flavor you should be able to cook by instinct.

Baking on the other hand is more like compiling code, if you mess up you donā€™t see your results until it is all built when you have to go back and start over. It is all about working it ratios and having a knowledge base for what substitutes and amounts will affect the end product

3 Likes

@Abdz good to hear from you too sir!!

@Severok ahh ofc Australians know their steak :slight_smile:

While iā€™ve never eaten raw Kibbe (Lebanese raw ground beef dish) itā€™s a real thing. Yup, dish using raw ground beef
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/02/06/171301501/why-lebanese-love-their-raw-kibbeh

And just FYI that steak was cooked for about 40 minutes at 115F. So very low temperature. Basically the minimum required to cook it. Youā€™ll maintain maximum ā€œjuiceā€ this way. If you go hotter and longer youā€™ll dry it out and dry steak makes me sad

@Severok didnā€™t we have this exact same argument about cooking meat 2 years ago rofllll. Nice to speak u again man.

@Mew whatevs, Iā€™m outnumbered for now so Iā€™ll graciously concede the battle. But how have you not had kibbe? Itā€™s nice every now and again, with olive oil on top, and eaten with raw onion and lebo bread on the side. Best meal.

cooking is an art, baking is a science. That is why my wife makes the curries and I make the cookies.

Best. Quote. Ever.

Me too, by the way.

3 Likes

Kibbeh? All the time

Kibbeh nayeh, Iā€™ve just never even seen it before tbh. Iā€™m from Lebanon, but neither in Lebanon nor in the US (large Lebanese population where I live) have I actually seen it. I know restaurants that have it though. Maybe I should give it a try sometimeā€¦

Sorry ye, meant kibbeh nayeh. U should try it, just has to be good meat. Not sure about taste, but freezing it then defrosting might add some extra safety if uā€™r worried about getting sick. Like they do with sushi, but not sure if itā€™s the same thing. Iā€™ve had it from fresh meat several times and nothing happened. U just need to make sure u cut off ALL the fat if youā€™re making it urself. Or just get it from a nice restaurant lol, eat it will bread, oil and raw onion. Youā€™ll love it.

1 Like

I dont think Id ever eat kibbeh nayeh.

I made this curry recently. Achar gosht with chicken:

Not the best picture but it was tasty lol. I have a picture of the plate I made after getting done but thats at home.

3 Likes

ā€œAchar gosht with chickenā€

My understanding of urdu is close to 0 so please forgive me, but doesnā€™t this mean Achar (spicy pickle) gosht (lamb) with chicken (chicken). So chicken and lamb together???

Hahahaha so what I meant is that I used the achar gosht spice and substituted the lamb with chicken (cheaper and spicier) lol. I just love the spice combination (National Spice brand).

1 Like

Looks awesome, mashaAllah tabarakallah.

:slight_smile: haha now Iā€™m following you

I love desi food but I donā€™t have much experience making it. My mom is from India so I eat Indian food often, but when cooking myself 99% of the time I use Italian flavors like oregano, basil, rosemary, lemon, etc

Baked some cake!

3 Likes

Haha I just buy the spice packs and go off their recipes. I improvise where I must if I dont have all the ingredients.

@Wulf looks good my brother.