Interested in Game Dev?

Looks like a FOSS game maker.
Looks awesome. I wouldn’t mind seeing how they compare.

I’m slightly disappointed. I ended up having to learn scripting just for basic stuff (walk smoothly in four directions; collide with walls). I had dreams of click-drag BOOM, games just make themselves. Yeah, I should know better than that by now.

I favour PCG, and I am already adept at writing code fast, so for me, the GUI tool has to be really really good to be worth it. We will see if GameMaker lives up to that.

RPG Maker is really great at that. With some training, I’ve seen 5-6yo kids able to make decent stuff with it, by themselves. That was my hope for Game Maker.

Is There Any Deal, you have betrayed me.

RPG Maker MV was on sale for $44 just last week. I never got any notification.

sad

After watching this, I really, really want to make a game like this:

I have a few ideas for video games that I fear I will never have the time to create. But the idea of game creation is super interesting

Your fear is well-justified. Most of us don’t finish games we start. That’s why team effort is so useful (keep each other accountable, someone else can carry the baton forward, etc.)

Part 2:

RPG Maker MV is available for half price ($40USD). This is a steal (historical low price too). I recommend it if you’re into making 2D JRPGs or doing cool stuff with it.

It’s not as good as VX Ace IMO (poor performance on mobile, less mods available right now, etc.) but the community is stellar and I’m sure it’s improved a lot since I tried it a year ago. Deal is available until Monday.
Obligatory Steam link:

1 Like

MV is back on sale at 50% if you missed it the first time.

If I recall, I bought a copy of RPG maker on steam… Don’t think I have installed it yet.

I am planning to revive this thread soon. Perhaps in January, perhaps in December. InshaAllah. Game Maker seems like a good choice since a lot of us own it now.

So @roketfiq threw his hat into the ring, and now we have a shot at actually doing this in December.

Anyone else want in? I just want to make a small game (preferrably web-hostable) that we can finish in a month flat. Small, fun, perhaps expandable later.

I’ve got a week off in December;
Lets do the thing.

1 Like

I hope that means you’ll be available more than just the one week…

What do you guys want to build?

What stack do you want to use?

Initially, we said “Raiden-X type game in PyGame.” Still good?

In the past week I am averaging 1-2 hours of dev time / night between getting my son to sleep and my wife getting annoyed that I am staying up too late.

Currently I am using that time to design boards for my own projects, but I can jump into a programming project.

I don’t mind what I am doing, preferably something I haven’t done before.
I like jumping into a new technology to figure out how it works and pick up a little broader experience.

A week off just means that I am essentially garenteed to be able to make dev time each night, likely in larger quantities than during work weeks, particularly during the end of year crunch.

I have a similar situation in terms of night-time / dev / kids.

Can we go with PyGame? I haven’t used it (I know you touched on it a bit), but it’s more approachable for non-dev types (Roketfiq).

Alternatively, I like anything that I can host on a website, because that makes it super easy to share the final product.

c/o Discord: Python is still good.

Hey @Severok you looked at PyGame vs. Pyglet right? Which did you want to go with?

Stack Overflow suggests that Pyglet is “better (easier to use) but newer (and poorly documented).”

Guys, what are we building?

It’s December already. 30 days to go :confused:

Moving this discussion here for December’s project.

Just a heads up for anyone intrested in games coding, I just noticed this in the Humble Bundle books page

Books get outdated fairly quickly. That being said, there’s something about having a solid A-Z reference that walks you through everything. Sometimes, without that, you end up not using features etc. and making your own life much harder.