Interested in Game Dev?

Javascript is a seperate language from Java.

I know, I know. All I said is that there exists some similarity in syntax.

@Severok your ideas are all kind of complicated. I like the third one most; I was hoping for a simpler idea though (I donā€™t know what yet). Something with a small, fun core game loop that we can expand, like a single mechanic to start. Again, I donā€™t know what.

I had this horrible/great idea years ago for a ā€œSuper Masjid Brothersā€ game. Itā€™s a platformer like Mario, except you have little quests; eg. you have to find/collect three screws + metal beams on the first level, and use that to fix a door. Stuff like that.

Idea #1: Snaky Snake / USA Space Trooper roguelike. Check those links, then imagine it as an RPG-light: you collect treasure, walk into enemies to ignite battle, collect potions to restore health, and ultimately find the stairs down. We can do it as a 2D infinite-scrolling game instead of 3d.

Easy to start with a simple scrolling map + a monster + stairs, and expand items, equipment, special monsters, skills, etc.

2 Likes

Idea #2: Parappa the Rappa meets Kirby Samurai battle. Watch the video; instead of 1v1, monsters keep spawning on both sides; you need to press a specific key, or solve a math equation (3 + 4 = ?) or something to kill them. Game ends when you eventually take too many hits and die.

Idea #3: Kind of like color switch but themed as a virus/hacking game. Youā€™re an AI, and you have to ā€œhackā€ from PC to PC to move forward. The screen keeps scrolling, so you die if youā€™re too slow. Machines have things like firewall (rotating shield) and stuff that make it tricky to time it just right and progress.

2 Likes

Can we get a vote from @Rec and @ala about which of the six/seven ideas sound good to work on? I like Sevā€™s #1 and #3, and my own #1 idea.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always had a soft spot for RPG games, so your first idea sounds good to me. @Severokā€™s second idea is amazing, too. Others are cool as well, but these two are my favourite from the bunch.

1 Like

Final vote from @Severok please?

Virus/Hacking game really rings my bell.

Can we re-brain storm the specifics of this pitch though and make it a little more puzzle focus?

Maybe something like you have to progress though a series of defenses, but instead of being reflex based it is more strategic?

How about:

You play a virus, trying to escape the research lab you were created in out into the wider internet.
You have to move though a network of machines to reach the gateway server to freedom.

Each machine has a series of barriers in place with anti-virus software. the player has to move though each puzzle stage breaking though the barriers without triggering detection and deletion.

Movement based pathfinding puzzle game with scrolling stages. The player must move around a scrolling space hitting triggers to lower various barriers while avoiding triggers that will cause it to be detected.
The player can not move over areas they have touched before, so they have to plan their approach to each puzzle.

The game looks sort of like Light-Bikes (Simple geometric graphics, almost '80s era vector graphics maybe?) where the player leaves a trail of color in their wake, touching this line is insta-death.
Screen is a grid with various obstacles, touching these squares alerts the anti-virus to your location and insta-death.
The grid has some green squares the player must touch, when all the green squares on the screen have been touched the exit barrier blocking progress is lowered.

Grid is constantly scrolling (Admin is searching for the virus, so there is a time pressure to escape each machine), so they player has a time pressure to break though each barrier.

As they progress though the stages, they reach more secure systems with harder puzzles.

Kind of like Ashes #3 Vs Snake

I really didnā€™t like the virus idea initially, and I read your proposal three times before selectively understanding parts of it. If @ala is okay with it, Iā€™m ā€œgame.ā€

What I extract from your proposal:

• Itā€™s like those ā€œsnakeā€ games. Youā€™re on a grid, you have to avoid red tiles (and any of your previous moves)
  • There are green tiles, touch them all before you can exit
  • There may or may not be time pressure (letā€™s prototype it and see what we like)

This sounds kinda like Fidel Dungeon Rescue (which Iā€™ve heard good things about), albeit you have to grab ā€œkeysā€ to unlock the gate before you can escape.

I like it. I can go with this, or the infinite scrolling roguelike.

@ala / @rec ? Letā€™s finalize this so we can start working inshaAllah.

Iā€™m fine with any of these ideas, truth be told. So you could say that I can go with this.

Motivation is the #1 thing that makes or breaks whether most people complete their game or it fizzles out in the middle, in my experience.

We have two votes for the roguelike-RPG and two for the virus puzzle ā€¦ we need a tie-breaker.

Thatā€™s the thing-- I find all of them pretty enjoyable. I think Iā€™ll do just fine.

On an unrelated note, how are we going to be communicating? Which platform? Is the game going to be open source?

Letā€™s go with the virus game then. As much as I prefer the other option, I wonā€™t be the main coder, so my motivation is less important.

Forums are fine. Iā€™ll PM you my email address and you can ping me on Google Chat during working hours Monday to Friday if you like.

Yes. We have a MuslimGamer account on GitHub. I need to add you to the team.

LETā€™S GO VIRUS GAME!!!

At first glance, this doesnā€™t seem to be my kind of gameā€¦ but I have a feeling youā€™ll surprise me. :smiley:

1 Like

Letā€™s move this discussion here.