Steam Sale Hype Thread

@rocketfiq there’s “real” coding (writing Ruby code) and there’s coding using their GUI system. You can do all kinds of stuff that’s real coding (setting variables, doing things based on conditions, loops, etc.)

There’s a lot of depth, and you can create almost anything you want. You can change, literally, everything (or almost everything). It’s just a matter of time and effort.

There are some games that made it to Steam, like To the Moon and Legionwood.

Here’s a list of some featured games.

Personally, I’ve made a lot of different types of games with it (RPG, adventure/RPG, adventure, roguelike). Some people have made really good horror games too. YMMV

Regarding this and various other tools on steam. What’s something that I can use to make iOS games?

I was looking at this, but I was on the fence.

Your staring at me however was making me uncomfortable, so I picked up a copy.

2 Likes

Hmm. Interesting. I thought that it was just limited to making JRPG type games with turn based combat and such. I didnt do too much with it when I tried it because I thought the tools were so limited. Is there any video or anything that illustrates the extent of what you could do with the software?

@XizorGetspeed there are a few tools for iOS (I haven’t used many) like Construct2 and Unity. I would suggest (seriously) joining our game development thread, and we can bring this up next time. (The first project will work on Mac, but not iOS.)

@Severok may Allah accept it! I hope you like learning new programming languages :slight_smile: (it’s backed by Ruby)

@roketfiq it started out as JRPG-focused, but the community has taken it lots of different places, and I’ve done my own set of experiments. Most of the combat systems are turn based, but there are some alternatives – I like this one, which gives you an Action RPG system. Someone’s also remade FF8’s Triple Triad in-game as the battle engine.

There’s no good video as far as I know. You can try the official promo video. But again, most of the official stuff is catered to the JRPG crowd.

All of the total war games are on sale btw.

So, would it safe to say that I wouldnt exactly need any of the DLC crap they have if I got the base software? Are you able to create and implement your own content? I know theres Steam Workshop support. I wouldnt mind getting into it if I knew I wouldnt be a slave to its DLC.

you don’t really need the dlc no. That being said. the last game that could get good full conversion mods was medieval 2 total war (my favorites are the lord of the rings and the stainless steel one)

If you are not planning to buy all of them i recommend Rome Total War. Medieval 2 total war. Napoleon Total war and Shogun 2 total war (and fall of hte samurai expansion). (also the two older ones, shogun and medieval are not to bad.

Rome 2 sucks. Empire is eh, but napoleon basically was it but fixed. dont know anything about attilla or warhammer.

Asad lol. My apologies but I was actually talking to @ashes999 about RPG Maker. I already own basically ALL the Total War games. Im a sucker to them at some point. I didnt get Atilla but I will likely be getting Warhammer. Game looks fantastic. I bought Rome 2 and didnt think it was too bad but I have to play more. I loved Shogun 2 and its expansion. Still have to continue that campaign. The historic battles are fun and challenging.

Well the new warscape engine (introduced with empire) really messed things up. First off it was never designed with melee combat in mind. so units feel very floaty and do not collide the way they should. In the older TW engines units could attack more than one unit at a time and where not locked into animation. Example. I could have the most elite swordman in medieval 2 (and rome, both games had hte same engine), but if hes surrounded by 200 peasents, he will be too buys blocking dodging and getting hit by 5 guys at a time to fight back. And this makes sense. In medieval 2 (and rome) units actually each had a collision mesh and acted independently. If you watch when you tell a battallion to move, in medieval 2 and rome some units started slightly slower than others, some slightly faster etc. when units stopped moving, it was because they could not move, due to another unit being in front of them. Warscape was designed for empire total war in mind. so while it was very good for ranged fighting, once it got into melee all hell broke loose. Units do not have collision, they had to write scripts so that thye try to avoid collding. In the medieval 2 engine it was like clapping you rhands together. In the warscape engine it was two shaddows which always try to avoid each other. no longer could units just attack, they had to use prescripted animations. Also, the animations can only be used 1 on 1. so one man can, if he rolls enough, last a very long time surrounded by a ton of lower end troops.

I have way more issues with the games but for now I will just leave these 4 videos that go into much more detail.

Why Empire Total War failed

Sane Critique, Why Rome 2 Failed

Sane Critique, Why Rome 2 Failed Part 2

Rome 2, 1 year on

Sure I’ll join that thread. Although coding is rusty at best.

I’m more interested in something that is low learning curve but decent results. Simple games like paceman, asteroids, type stuff .

@XizorGetspeed You don’t need coding skills for that. I would actually prefer non-coders now (right now we have a coalition of three coders). RPG Maker also lets you do stuff without coding.

@roketfiq you don’t need the DLCs. There’s a huge community following, which equates to (literally) hundreds, if not thousands, of free things – sprites (characters, battlers, tilesets), audio, mods, etc. Plus I’m (mostly depending on availability) willing to write some code if you want to try something experimental that’s not done yet.

So TLDR: the DLC is not necessary and IMO it’s usually over-priced and not worth it.

Yes, you can create your own content. You can swap out pretty much everything content-wise. There are also in-editor generators (character generator, dungeon generator) you can use as a starting-point.

@ashes999 Nice. Dang. Alright, Ill look into getting it either this sale or the next. Unless they have another Humble Bundle…

@asad3ainjalout - lol I never thought about that. Ill check out the videos. I bought Rome 2 Emperor Ed for $15 on a whim figuring that it would be a nice revisit to the era at least. You have to understand something though. I suck at sticking with these empire building games. The most time Ive spent on a TW game is on Shogun 2. That was 96 or so hrs (and Ill add more with the expansion at some point). Otherwise I never actually finished even ONE campaign in the previous games. lol. Its nuts, I know, but thats how it usually goes. I have to stop myself from buying new Civ-like games because I know I wont “finish” them. The best thing about the newer TW games was that they actually included story-esque campaigns that gave me a point to play.

I really enjoyed Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes, for example. It helps to have quests and something of a story to drive a game for me. I have Age of Wonders 3 to play as well.

What do you think of Shogun 2? For me that game was a culmination of good for the series. Everything good from Napoleon TW and Empire.

Edit: Okay those are way too long. What is the TL;DR?

1 Like

Rpg maker can’t export to iOS though right? I’ve used RPG maker like 10 years ago… It was fun… But I don’t want to make an RPG

Yeah RPG Maker only works on Windows (not even Linux … ) – the new one does, but it’s not worth it (it’s too raw / early-stages). I wouldn’t recommend buying it for you.

what you think of this?

Thanks for the recommendation of Stardew Valley… Liking it so far!

1 Like

@XizorGetspeed haven’t heard of it before so can’t comment. Initial impression is that it uses C++, which is IMO a large learning curve.

I would suggest, given your background, deciding between whether you want to learn relearn coding (real coding) again or not. Based on that, pick the appropriate tool.

If coding, try Python and PyGame with us – one month no-commitment trial (we’re all learning it too).
If not coding, pick a tool. Game Salad looks good IMO, Construct2 is okay (I didn’t like it), Unity is really really really popular and powerful but has a higher learning curve (more coding necessary but it’s C#).

Man…I want Stardew Valley but kind of want to get the DRM Free version. My siblings would all love it too so Id like to have it on other comps.

Just downloaded Game Salad. Thanks!