What is the official position on posting links to abandonware games?

Assallaumu Alaikum.

Question is in title.

Abandonware is defined as “computer software that is no longer distributed or supported by the developer or copyright holder.”

I would also add the definition that it is not for sale on GoG or any other such sites. For example, Star Trek Bridge Commander is not on sale anywhere, but Star Trek Starfleet Command is on sale on GoG https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_starfleet_command_gold_edition.

Both great game btw.

Good question. I dont think its bad but I dont know how other forums treat the matter. We could, as we have before, keep that category or type of post limited to higher ranking members and keep it hidden from new members. Sounds shady but just covering our own butts.

1 Like

I would suggest honouring copyright: if the original owner is okay with it, there’s no reason not to do it. If the original owner is against it, we should respect that.

1 Like

I guess thats also a good way of looking at it. Unless the idiot devs are just being douche bags…then we stick it to the man…

I feel like if the game is no longer being sold anymore than it is OK to deal with abandonware games personally. I mean if I cant buy it, then how else am I supposed to acquire it. Basically what I am getting from this thread is that it’s ok to maybe talk about discuss and and allude to where to get abandoneware games, but it is better to avoid direct links.

I would suggesting looking up some real fatawa or talking to someone more knowledgeable about this. Please post back for the benefit of the rest of us.

BTW, my understanding of Abandonware is that it’s, uh, abandoned. Usually, because the company went under, or the project was cancelled; and I can’t recall of cases where the original company actually came back and said “wait yeah that’s ours again.”

But … this is not a fatwa :slight_smile: