What Were You JUST Playing?!

There is no character progression or perma-death.

Think more like Prison Archetect in terms of designing and developing a facility blended with Tekkit with crafting, resource gathering and automation.

Currently playing Bahamut Lagoon. It’s an old SNES RPG (about 20 years old) that I picked up about 19 years ago. Excellent storyline – I never finished it. Fan translated.

It’s basically an RPG, with dragons that follow around your main characters and fight on their own. You feed them items to raise their stats (fire, water, lightning, earth, poison, life, and the usual gamut of stats). This controls their forms and their attacks.

It’s really awesome. Just, ya know, old.

2 Likes

lol Hey, sometimes you gotta play those old games to appreciate what once was. I go into emulator bouts myself. You playing that on emulator?

Yeah, I’m playing it on ZSNES. I haven’t used ZSNES since the mid 2000s, I think. Nostalgia :slight_smile:

I love the 16-bit era RPG graphics style.
Things like Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger in particular.

What is the gameplay like?

The gameplay is like a turn-based strategy. Player turn first, so you move your parties, and either have them fight (if in melee range) or use techniques on the map, against enemy units. Once you move a party, then their dragon moves (based on strategy: go anywhere and attack vs. stay close and attack vs. hold back and heal). Same deal about melee vs. skills.

So it’s strategic: figure out how to deploy your troops with their dragons, what attacks to use (when to conserve vs. nuke skill points), and hope your dragons use the right attacks. I built up a lot of fire-elemental dragons, and now started running into enemies that absorb fire :confused:

It’s fun. I recommend it for oldschool SNES RPG fans. Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger were staples of my childhood.

I just play Overwatch these days, and pokemon go when I’m around a lot of pokestops.

I played Doom when it first came out and finished it…looking for more single player shooters, with a linear story line. I love those. Half Life and Portal really got me hooked on those.

2 Likes

Yo, @Zaido do I have you added on Bnet? We should play together!

2 Likes

I dont think so…Whats your battle.net id?

I just picked up a copy of Shadowrun chronicles - Boston Lockdown (From Cliffhanger Productions) on steam for $5.
Shadowrun is my favorite D&D variant and I loved the recent single player PC adaptions from Hairbrain schemes (Returns and Dragonfall).

Shadowrun is essentially D&D complete with magic, elves, drawfs, etc but set in a cyberpunk future instead of a Tolkien-styled fantasy past.

This game is multiplayer focused opposed to the others which are narrative focus allowing players to form parties with their friends to work through the campaign.

I haven’t gotten far enough to have a proper opinion yet… Game-play is squad turn-based strategy similar to Xcom with more RPG character development. The graphics aren’t amazing, a lot of the models look lazy, the music/voice acting are terrible and it just seems to be missing the atmosphere and story that made the other shadowrun games amazing.

I will stick it out though and see if game-play carries the game through. Reviews suggest that your enjoyment of the game will depend on the people you play with, so we will have to see. If by any chance anyone here happens to play, I have rolled up an Engineer specializing in Decking (hacking) and Rigging (Roboticss)

So far, I can not say that I recommend it and I really wish the other series was multiplayer. Worst case scenario I can pick up a copy of Shadowrun Hongkong next week.

Ill PM you!

CSGO: Had to switch to casual, because I am doing horribly in competitive.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/257091088007498929/46DBA8843B8D52350CC0378C89B2600FDE8BF598/

lol Im about to be back into CSGO. A friend of mine got me back into it. Theres just something about LANing a game with a friend on your time off to get you back into the swing of things. lol.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean haha

Cs 1.6 was all we did in Highschool computer science class. The teacher didn’t care as long as we got our work done. I’m still in touch with that teacher.

They know me for my headshot percentage XD

I used to sit in the back of chemistry lectures playing doom on the laptop with friends.

Best lecture series ever.

1 Like

I have been playing oolite lately, its been scratching my space sim itch. Scratched it enough that I am investing in a joystick so I can fully enjoy the flight.

Here is a beauty shot of my ship passing by the sun shortly after warping into this system.

The space station is near

Acquiring and receiving clearance, this is a low tech level agricultural planet so I didn’t have to wait at all, some of the other systems have a good 5 minutes wait. I usually use that time to look at the prices and plan what I am going to buy before docking.

Coming in for the final approach. This was my first time immediately acquiring clearance as soon as i was in radio range and rushing in for the dock. As you can note I was going full speed and coming in from a less than ideal angle, I did not take another picture as I was too busy trying not to crash. Usually I wait near the navigation beacon, a little ways lined up right with the hanger door. i then gain clearance and match my roll while approaching the station at 70 (btw the station is spinning). Here I was going 350!

A successful dock!

Leaving the station, such a pretty planet, can’t wait till I equip my ship to land there, I think the prices are cheaper.

A beauty shot off my port bow at one of the moons and the sun.

Prepping my travel to another system.

Entering the wormhole!

And there is the exit.

The first thing I see upon leaving the wormhole.

This system is much bigger and richer. They sell a wide variety of ships.

Heres a view of the bow of my ship. That asteroids that was too big for the textures to fit on is heading straight for all the ships! Luckily as you can see in the comm menu, the police (purple) got in a dog fight with a pirate, and the ensuing battle caused the destruction of the asteroid.

Thats the pirate right there in front of me. I dared not shoot him as I had invested in a larger cargo bay rather than better weapons than the starter one.

The two purple police trails as they follow the pirate.

I was able to grab a shot of one of the officers shooting

Moon above me

The planet and it’s sun

Great fun. While this game does not really have an objective beyond become the best in the galaxy (elite), I really enjoyed playing a nice relaxing game where I did not have to save the world. I was a humble trader working my way up. It showed when i was 3rd in line to dock and got bumped to 5th because two police cruisers complained about waiting for civvies and then went ahead. You are very un special, and thats what made it fun for me. It was not beating the old you must save world, you are hero story.

The game is called oolite and free to play on Linux, Windows, and Mac at http://www.oolite.org/ While the keyboard controls are very competent, i do recommend trying out a joystick. Also, it has over 640 mods in a very easy to access menu on the main menu. I recommend the beginner pack as it adds things such as the ability to land on planets, better graphics and interface while keeping true to the original interface, about 57 other things and my favorite, the radio which added in Quran files and was listening to suratul Kahf while I calmly flew around.

2 Likes

Your good mA, not quite on my level but good.

1 Like

LOL Alright inshAllah we’ll play someday

1 Like

@asad3ainjalout is that an Elite Dangerous clone?

Basically its the original elite game with many improvements after the creater of the elite game released the source code.