September 2018 Game Dev: Procedurally-Generated 2D RPG

Salams!

After a few months of working on it, I decided to put our key project Abu Hamid X on hold for a while and work on something … else. Something smaller, lighter, more fun inshaAllah.

I’ve been floating around the idea of a procedurally-generated RPG for a couple of years now. I decided it would make a great one-month experimental project.

The patch is a one-man, mostly procedurally-generated RPG – maps, story, etc. will be random. You get a different, small game each time. Monsters, skills, etc. will be pre-written.

I also saw this excellent Extra Credits video on puzzle vs. reflex games:

I decided to revisit an older idea I prototyped of creating a memory-centric game. So the core battle engine will be based on memory-improving tactics (spatial working memory, n-back if I can squeeze it in somehow).

If you’re intersted in knowing more (or helping out), show up on Discord in #gamedev and/or drop me a PM/reply.

Here’s a GIF of a generated world map with a randomly-placed forest dungeon entrance.

1 Like

are you still working on the console game?

:joy::sob:

Lol inshallah soon

I’m divided on this. Next year, it’s possible it’ll come back up to the front of my interest list. Right now, I have a 10yo who plays on XBox 360 (but I can’t make XBox 360 games), and we really need a community around creating a Linux console for it to work. But there’s Steam, so there’s already a strong platform there…

I don’t know. If someone is interested, PM/DM/poke me and we can move forward on that front more inshaAllah.

Get your kid into PC!

On a serious note I’m interested I just cannot meet/keep up with your work schedule requirements.

My kid is into PC – Terraria, Stardew Valley, and more.

Not sure what you mean by “work schedule requirements.” My whole thing has always been the same:

• Commit to actually doing it
  • Figure out how much time you have for it
  • Hold yourself accountable

I think we should have a separate thread/discussion about this console thing, because I think you guys are interested (as am I …) just not sure what to do or when to do it.

If I recall you liked to get projects done within a month. While commendable, I am personally unable to commit to such a time frame.

I can commit my free time every week which varies depending on my to do list that week.

I would change that to “I like to have something I can show in a month.” Doesn’t have to be complete, or perfect, just playable/usable without like crashing, debug logs all over the place, etc.

Your commitment is with you, I’m not a fan of holding people accountable unless they ask me to do so. Let’s talk inshaAllah in detail, maybe in another thread/Steam/etc.