The Welcome Back to DnD thread

Sorry, I’m really getting backlogged with stuff and have to drop out.

InshaAllah next time.

Is there a timeline to get this started?

I have more or less figured out a campaign that should suit 4-8 players, particularly if the party splits.

It is sort of a spiritual successor to the old campaign. Sort of same world but different setting and characters.

Asad has submitted his character.

When would everyone be looking to start?

Want to have a character creation party on discord? I think that might be the best way to get up snd running.

Edit:
@Severok I’d like to continue my character, but will need to adapt him to the newer system—we spent a lot of time putting the class together and balancing him out…

Also, can we start at a higher level than 1?

Edit 2:
Unless people don’t like the thought of travelling with a loose canon…

1 Like

I’m on like everyday! lol

2 Likes

The sound of crickets fills the room as Recrimm awaits a decision from the high council. Will he be released, or will his quest to find his father’s killer remain unresolved…

@Severok

5 years has passed since the cataclysm of Ravenhold. (Lets start this with an average player level of 4)

Recrimm holds tight to what fleeting memories remain of his friends, they had barely come to recognise the significance of their task before it came to an abrupt end.

A terrible quake as the ancient monestary collapsed around him and his companions. Awaking alone to ruin as citys burn and populations flee.

The common races of the land and prey and game as grand cities fall leaving only scattered tribes.

For 5 years the hunter has survived off the land, every moment wasted another moment his hunters draw closer.

But amongst the desperate tribes, a rumor persists to give hope, a hidden land somehow free and safe and the last city; “New Home”

Comming soon to a forum near you: Homecoming.

my characters background depends on him starting at level 1, maybe give me some extra things to level up initially till i am caught up? FYI to everyone else, i am keeping my characters backstory secret for now,

I have been considering this.
Your character background actually inspired large parts of the campaign setting.

We have some returning players who like will want to continue their old characters, in which case setting the game in the following era and advancing a few levels makes sense.

3 solutions i can think of would be:

• Multiclass your character so you still start as lv1 on your desired class
  • Start lv1 with more points to spend, reflecting your origin.
  • Start lv1 and recive bonus xp until you catch up to the group.

I am hoping that we will end up with a large party (5-8) for what I have planned.

I always encorage hidden backgrounds. Recrimms lychantrophy was one of my favorite parts of Ravenshome.

The title of this thread still makes me smile when I see it lol.

@Mew Sorry I missed this comment for so long.

I don’t mind the Purchase method particularly as a way of tweaking your characer to how you want to play. Usually I prefer the traditional 4d6(-weakest) rolls, but I will allow which ever you prefer.

Personally I would be tempted to run the traditional rolls applying the scores sequentually to the attributes to make a purely random character then selecting a class after to make best use of what I get.

I would advise against Min-Maxing where you stack your stats heavily in your classes favour while minimising another (dump-stat). Eg if you use CHA as a dump-stat to boost your mages INT to maximum you will be punished by having an ugly character that nobody takes seriously and that Will be used against you (fairly).

The campaign setting will be somewhat urban with excursions to various locations.
There will be opertunities for politics, joining guilds/factions if you choose, even making your own if you choose. There should be something that is a good fit for your character what ever class or ideology you have.

The setting has branching storylines, so the players will ultimately decide on the direction things take.

I want a larger scoped campaign this time, so we will do more with each update eg you go to a location, i roll incidental encounters, advance time and have you arrive instead of having the players go through the streets themselves.

We will use faster XP as this campaign is set to take months of game time rather than days.

1 Like

@Severok No worries I’ve been a bit busy myself lately; I’ll try to read it shortly

@roketfiq instead of laughing, come join us!

lol I dont think Im really a DnD sort of guy…

All y’all might find this interesting (especially @Severok):

Your right, Jazakallah.

I love to run looser campaigns with shades of Grey morality allowing the players to make their own decisions and face the consequences for their actions.

He is right saying that DnD is very combat focused, but it doesn’t nesscisarily need to be that way. A DM can make a heavily social based campaign using the settings and mechanics to make a game where negotiation and problem solving are more than viable alternatives to combat. You can even make it so that past actions will lower the difficulty of taking some paths or make others more difficult. As DM I can make my own world where I remove the premade Pantheon of gods to replace with 1 single God and offer buffs and other benefits to players who make moral choices within that Canon.

There are literally 100s of tabletop RPGs in which combat is your last resort, some built around the D20 system, some under GURPS where taking damage likely leaves some permanent disability to your character even if you are hurt like the wild west RPGs where even wining a fight will likely have you losing a limb from infection if you take so much as 1 hit.

We could look at expanding out and playing other systems over time. To name just a few:

My favourite so far is Shadow run which puts players into a highly corrupt cyberpunk world which plays great with my love of moral choice and shades of grey morality.

The Lovecraft based Call of Cthulu RPG has almost no combat as your only chance of survival is to investigate as much as you can then run before conflict. Against the unnatural lovecraftian horrors, even to look at your opponent risks insanity.

I love the focus on social interaction and clan politics in the Vampire Mascerade RPG.

The Thives world RPG reworks the magic system making it more utilitarian and less viable for combat and adds ongoing wounds after healing to make combat a less attractive option over negotiation.

@Severok and we are starting at level 4, correct? I just want to confirm if that is set in stone before I start going through all these Feats

As a side note, I have played the recent Shadow run RPGs on steam and had zero issues roleplaying a Muslim character.

The storyline was railroaded being a prewritten campaign on PC rather than a pen and paper game with a real GM. But I could always pick a more moraly sound dialoge option or motivation. I could negotiate my way through some issues rather than fighting. I could even go to a bar to get information, refusing alcohol and requesting a coffee instead

That is my plan, though I still need to talk with Asad regarding how his character will be handled.

That will let us integrate some of the old players into the new campaign while allowing new ones to enter. It will also give some extra definition and customisation to each player since they have more points to work with.

I will adjust encounter difficulty so that the players ultimately have the same experience going into things.

I would like to talk about a start date soon.

I’ve been reading different Pathfinder guides and I am itching to go.

Does anyone want to PM me about their characters?
Either submitting a character sheet or discussing what kind of character they would be intrested in playing?

If you don’t have any idea yet, let me know and we can get you sorted out!